What You Need to Know
Are you ready to get rid of your old TV, gaming system, or computer? While it can be tempting to put it out on the curb with the rest of your trash, you should reconsider that option. Here’s what you need to know about recycling electronics.
Recycling Electronics: What You Need to Know
It’s important for the environment.
- They impact our water system. Electronic devices contain contaminants, which include heavy metals like lead, barium, mercury, cadmium, lithium, to name a few. When electronics are dumped into a landfill, they leach these contaminants into the soil. Once in the soil, these toxic chemicals then infiltrate the groundwater supply. This puts the water we drink, cook, and bathe in at risk. Plus, the soil is contaminated with pollutants, the food grown in it is affected, as well.
- They take up space in the landfill. Landfill space is a limited resource. Every time you send something to the landfill that can be disposed of differently, you are taking up the space needed for items that aren’t recyclable or reusable.
You have options.
- Sell or donate it. There are many Facebook groups dedicated to selling unwanted items in different locations. Be sure to return it to factory settings before giving it to its next owner to ensure you’re not passing over sensitive information.
- Recycle it. Google e-waste recycling centers near you. You can then take it there yourself to have it recycled, sometimes for a small fee. You might also discover local electronic stores recycle them for free.
- Wait for a community e-recycle day. Did you know many communities have e-waste recycling days? While they tend to be infrequent, you can hold onto that old laptop until the next one. These services tend to be free, but there might be fees for certain items, like big TVs and old computer monitors.
- Have it hauled. This is one of the easiest ways to get rid of that old television. Junk hauling companies like JDog Junk Removal & Hauling are here to help you recycle or donate your old, or unwanted, electronics. When you call the Veterans and Military family members at JDog Junk Removal & Hauling, you can count on us to show up on-time and in-uniform. We will sort through your unwanted items and ensure they are responsibly disposed of—all so you don’t have to. Schedule a pickup today.