Safety Tips for Heavy Lifting
What You Should Do to Prevent Injury
June is National Safety Month. At JDog Junk Removal & Hauling, while we know many hauling initiatives are safe, there are some that can cause severe harm if not executed properly. Lifting and moving the heavier things around your home like furniture and appliances are frequent causes of bodily harm. Frequent injuries include throwing out your back, stubbing or breaking a toe, and contusions. Fortunately, there are some safety tips you can follow for heavy lifting to reduce risk.
Safety tips for heavy lifting
- Consider if you are actually capable and comfortable lifting heavy objects. It can be tempting to DIY your furniture feng shui or bring it out to the driveway if you decide to sell it to a neighbor. However, it’s not the right job for everyone! With the risks for bodily harm, you should feel physically capable and confident you won’t get stuck trying to pivot around a corner.
- Get help. Furniture tends to be bulky, and you’ll likely need a partner or two to help you move it. You should also be mindful of the capabilities of the person you ask, and be sure to let them know it’s okay if they are not comfortable helping you.
- Use the right tools. There are tools to make the process easier for you. Forearm straps can distribute the weight more easily, and you can get sliders to put under furniture feet to make it easier and safer to slide around. Plus, we recommend having a blanket to cover furniture to protect it.
- Lift the right way. Hello, back injuries! Lifting with your back is one of the most common causes of injury with heavy lifting. Instead of bending down at your waist, use your knees, starting in a squat position and lifting up.
- Use a professional service instead. Skip the stress and have JDog Junk Removal & Hauling do the heavy lifting. In addition to hauling junk, we also provide labor services to help you safely move heavy items around your home, saving your back, furniture, and walls. The Veterans and Military family members at JDog approach every task with the same values we lived by during our time serving our country: Respect, Integrity, and Trust. Call us today at 844-GET-JDOG to schedule a service.