What Should You Do with Your Used Tire?
And Why You Shouldn’t Throw Them Away
What are you supposed to do with a used tire? Read on to learn why you shouldn’t throw them away and what you should do instead.
Why You Shouldn’t Throw Away a Used Tire
- Tires take up a significant amount of the limited space available in landfills.
- Tires left to rot with the trash are detrimental to the environment. They trap methane gases, resulting in a bubbling effect that causes the tire to push back against the soil and tear away the lining of the landfill.
- These methane emissions and create a fire risk, which is particularly difficult to extinguish.
What to Do with Used Tires
- Recycle it: you’ll need to find a recycling center that can accept your tires.
- Make Rubber Mulch: an increasingly popular way to reuse tires, rubber mulch can serve as a soft ground cover for swing sets, jungle gyms, and play areas. It also makes a good, weed-smothering garden ground cover. Just remove any metal attachments, hose down the tires, rent an industrial-strength shredder, and place the mulch for a safe, environmentally conscious alternative to wood mulch.
- Protect your landscaping: place tires around newly planted or struggling trees to ensure your lawn mower doesn’t damage them.
- Make a tire swing: a childhood staple for many, this simple project provides hours of fun. Attach one end of a rope to a tire and the other to a tree, making sure each end is secure.
- Create an elevated plant bed: fill a tire with soil and plant a flower or veggie of your choice. Potatoes are an especially popular vegetable to plant in a stack of tires, as they retain heat and encourage growth. Paint the outside of the tire(s) to help this new addition to your landscape fit in with the rest of your yard.
Call JDog Junk Removal & Hauling to Schedule a Pick-up
JDog Junk Removal & Hauling can come to haul away your old tires for responsible recycling. When you call us, you can expect we’ll arrive on time, in uniform and complete the job to our high standards. Contact the Veterans and Military family members at JDog Junk Removal & Hauling today by calling 844-GET-JDOG to schedule a service.