How to Organize an Estate Sale
What you need to know for success
Estate sales consist of the liquidation of a home’s contents. These sales can be overwhelming and complicated to plan. Luckily, we’ve compiled a list of tips to help you through the process. Read on to learn more about how to organize an estate sale.
Estate Sale Organization
- Schedule it. Try to pick a weekend during the spring or fall, when people are around and the weather is less extreme.
- Take an inventory of all the items you want to sell. Go room by room to document each item you’d like to sell, taking pictures as you go. You’ll use these pictures later for marketing purposes.
- Appraise and price your items. Do your research to ensure you’re asking enough for the things you plan to sell. You can find advice online or turn to a professional appraiser for help. Professional appraisers are experienced in estate sales and will offer accurate prices and dependable advice for a fee.
- Stage your sale. Display every item in the room of the house in which it belongs to create a natural environment. You want the customers to be able to envision these items in their own homes.
- Advertise your sale. You can do this online through Craigslist, social media, or other specialty sites designated for estate sales. If you’re not too tight on funds, consider hiring an estate sale marketing company to help you get the word out. An estate sale planner can also help you during the day of the sale as you deal with purchases and manage the people attending your sale.
- Schedule an estate cleanout. Estate cleanouts involve sorting through a houseful of belongings, so there are usually a number of items you don’t want to keep. JDog Junk Removal & Hauling helps you by hauling these items away for you. They’ll even responsibly dispose of them by either recycling them or donating them to charity. Call us today at 844-GET-JDOG to schedule a pickup for your estate sale.