E-Waste Disposal: the Importance of Recycling
Why improper electronics disposal is a threat to our environment
E-waste, or electronic waste, is a term to describe the electronic devices that you no longer want. Nowadays, technology is advancing at a rapid pace, which means more and more devices are being discarded than ever. Read on to learn more about why responsible e-waste disposal is a vital part of protecting our planet.
Electronic waste includes (but is not limited to) these items:
- Stereos, CD players, and speakers.
- Cell phones and portable landline phones.
- Kitchen appliances.
- Washers and dryers.
- Televisions, DVD players, and VCRs.
- Computer monitors and laptops.
The Importance of Proper E-Waste Disposal
- Discarded electronics cause pollution. Most devices contain hazardous chemicals like mercury, lead, and flame retardants. When old electronics are discarded into landfills, they pollute the air and leak these chemicals into the soil. This contaminates the soil and even the groundwater.
- Recycling creates jobs. When recycled, old electronic devices are sent to processed in recycling plants. This creates employment opportunities for the people who operate these plants.
- Your devices contain your personal info. Therefore, throwing your old phone, laptop, or tablet into the trash poses a security risk. Recycling your old devices means that your info is more secure and won’t end up in someone else’s possession.
- It’s the law in some places. Because e-waste has become so prevalent, many local governments have regulations regarding disposal. Fines might even apply, depending on your location.
- Recycling protects our natural resources. Repurposing the components of an old device means that there’s less of a need to mine for new virgin materials.
- Finally, there’s help available. If you’re saving your old devices but don’t know what to do with them, we can assist you. JDog Junk Removal & Hauling is here to haul your old e-waste for you. Find out more about us, e-waste removal, and the other junk we remove by calling us today at 844-GET-JDOG to schedule a pickup.