The Keys to Efficient Basement Cleanouts
How to get the most out of every cleaning
For many people, basements are a catch-all space for sentimental items, old furniture, seasonal decor, and other things that aren’t used on a daily basis. This can make a basement cleanout a monumentally difficult task. A successful cleanout requires time, energy, and planning, which many of us don’t have a lot of. Here are a few tips on how to get the most out of your basement cleanouts.
A Guide to Efficient Basement Cleanouts
- First, schedule time to work without a strict, stress-inducing deadline. Make your goal a realisitic one to avoid letting yourself down if you go over your estimate. It takes most people a few days to clean out an average-sized basement.
- Break the basement up by working in chunks, area by area. This helps you from getting overwhelmed in a sea of old clutter.
- Start piles as you work. It’s advisable to create three general piles as you work: keep, donate/sell, and throw away. Keep in mind that most things you haven’t used in one to two years should be added to the “throw away” pile. Sometimes, however, you find items you haven’t used within this time frame. If they could be of value to someone else, you can add it to the donate/sell pile. Sticking to this system helps streamline your process.
- Next, you should invest in organization containers and plan out a storage system that can be easily rearranged or moved as needed.
- Finally, it’s smart to hire a junk hauling company. Once you’ve cleaned the basement and everything is in piles, you’ll be stuck with your donate/sell pile and throw away pile. You obviously don’t want to keep these things around, but the volume of stuff is difficult to move at once. That’s where JDog Junk Removal & Hauling comes in. Contact us today by calling 844-GET-JDOG to schedule a pickup. Because we believe in finding alternatives to landfills, we’ll look take your trash to the landfill and everything else to be either recycled or donated.