What you Need to Know About Mattress Recycling
The importance of mattress recycling
The components of an old mattress begin to break down when tossed into a landfill. These materials depend on the type of mattresses it is, but most common mattresses leak chemicals into to the air and water supply, posing a serious threat to the environment. Therefore, it’s important that everyone recycles their old mattresses instead of disposing of them like trash. Here are a few things you need to know about mattress recycling.
- Mattresses contain both organic and inorganic materials. Some of the organic materials (wood and cotton fabrics) decompose naturally. Other synthetic and metal components take up valuable space in landfills and can take more than 100 years to decompose.
- Old mattresses contain components that, when they decompose, interact and leak dangerous chemicals into the soil and air. This process pollutes groundwater supplies and produces gases like methane and carbon dioxide. These gases are attributed to severe environmental issues like climate change, the greenhouse effect, and global warming.
- California, Connecticut, and Rhode Island are the first states to make it mandatory to recycle old mattresses.
- Mattresses clog and catch in incinerators and compressors because of their large sizes and bulky shapes.
- The average mattress lasts up to 10 years of regular use.
- 80% to 100% of the average mattress can disassembled and broken down into raw materials. These materials are then recycled into new products. Foams, certain fabrics, and plastics are turned into cushions or padding. Fabrics are turned into industrial oil filters and recycled textiles. Metal springs and frames are melted into scrap metal to create a number of new products. Wood can be used as fuel or tossed into a wood chipper and turned into mulch.
Need Help Hauling?
Contact the dedicated team at JDog Junk Removal & Hauling to have your old mattress hauled away to be properly recycled. You can reach us at 844-GET-JDOG, so call today to schedule a pickup.