Garage Cleanout Tips for Organization
How to get your garage organized and clean
Garages can quickly be converted from a place for car storage to a catch-all for junk. Therefore, it’s vital you make the time to clean out your garage on a regular basis. Learn a few garage cleanout tips here!
When going through your things, make three piles. One pile is for things you want to keep, one is for items to donate or sell, and one pile is for items you want to throw away.
Besides the kitchen, the garage is the most likely spot in your home to catch on fire. Invest in a UL–listed fire extinguisher and store it in an easy-to-reach spot. It should carry an ABC rating. Installing a carbon monoxide detector is a smart idea, too, especially if you store your car in the garage.
- Create sections that contain similar items. Store items you use together, such as gardening tools and mulch, stored close to one another.
- Put bulky equipment, like lawn mowers or power tools in places where you won’t bump into them when parking your car.
- Keep holiday decorations and sentimental items stored in out-of-the-way places. Pack them away in air-tight plastic containers for protection.
- Avoid storing items on the floor to prevent piles of clutter.
- Install pegboard and a shelving system on the walls for added, visible storage.
- Make it a point to regularly take inventory of what’s in your garage. Take the three-pile approach (keep, donate/sell, and throw away) and go through your belongings to ensure your garage stays organized.
- Prevent insect infestations by treating with a natural pesticide that won’t make you, your family, or your pets sick.
Get Help with your Garage Cleanout
Finally, are you wondering what to do with all the stuff that remains after your cleanout? The dedicated team at JDog Junk Removal & Hauling is here to help haul away the donations and throw-away contents of your garage. Contact us today by calling 844-GET-JDOG to schedule a pickup.