What to Do with Old Sofas
Your Options for Responsible Removal
If your couch has seen its last days, do you know what you can do to get rid of it responsibly? Learn what you can do with old sofas.
What to Do with Old Sofas.
- Sell it. If your sofa is clean, stain-free and sturdy, sell it on Craigslist or eBay. If it’s in less-than-desirable condition, put it in the “free” section of Craigslist.
- Donate it. Charity organizations often take upholstered furniture, but usually only if it’s in gently used or almost-new condition to avoid bedbug infestations.
- Clean it. If your couch just needs a little love, you can do some things to spruce it up. Get it professionally cleaned by a company like JDog Carpet Cleaning, and buy some new throws or pillows to freshen it up. Slipcovers are available in many great textiles and colors, or can even be custom made.
- Find another use. If you don’t want your sofa in your living room, maybe it can be used in a guest room, recreation space, basement, or garage.
- Recycle it. Did you know couches can be broken up into pieces and recycled? It’s pretty difficult to find a place that recycles couches, but you can dismantle it yourself, and recycle the parts. The wood, cotton fabric, foam core, and springs can all be taken to recycling facilities.
- Reupholster it. You can completely makeover your couch by reupholstering it with new foam, lining, and fabric. This can be a particularly expensive option, so be sure to go into it with a plan.
- Call a junk hauling company. At JDog Junk Removal & Hauling, we believe we have a responsibility to the environment, so recycle or donate 60% to 80% of everything we haul. If your couch is usable, we will find an organization that takes donations. If your couch has seen its last days, we’ll take it apart and recycle and the pieces. Ready to responsibly get rid of your old sofa? Call the Veterans at JDog Junk Removal & Hauling today.